Here are the main Material properties. Any material have some properties and according to that we use material in various application. The classification of properties are
Mechanical properties widely depends on the bond of molecule and structural arrangement. They widely respond to load applied. The important mechanical properties are
- Under elasticity the material deforms under load and regains the original shape when load is removed.
- Load is externally applied ,this give rise to stress and strain.
- Hence elastic material fallow hook’s law i.e. stress is directly proportional to strain.
- Under this situation material deforms permanently on application of load.
- This deformation cannot be recovered.
- After attaining particular value material starts. yielding without any further increase in stress.
- It is the property of material by virtue of which it absorbs energy during plastic deformation.
- Energy stored per unit volume is called modulus of toughness.
- Ability of material to be drawn into wire is called ductility.
- It is committed by pulling force.
- It is measured in terms of
1)percentage of area reduced
2)percentage in elongation occurred.
- Ability of material to be drawn into thin sheet is called malleability.
- Deformation is permanent in all directions
- for malleability, ductility is important.
- Resistance to indentation ( even scratch)
- It helps to protect those material who are under friction or rubbing.
- Test for measuring hardness are:-
- Progressive or successive deformation of a material under load.
- Creep is more vulnerable at high temperature.
- Measurement of creep is done in terms of plastic deformation.
- Ionic and covalent structures are also affected by creep.